Monday, August 25, 2014

Pregnancy Brain

Pregnancy brain is real.  And it's terrifying.  Here I have collected a few pregnancy brain moments.  I'm sure there are soooo many more, but my dear pregnant brain just can't seem to recall them.  Don't worry though, as I do (and as I inevitably create more) I will document them.

Pit Stop
Steve and I were getting ready to go on a walk during a work break and I decided I needed to use the restroom.  The restroom in our lobby is a single room restroom.  I, totally unaware of my surroundings, walked towards the bathroom right as a woman came out.  I thought to myself, "perfect timing" and entered right on in.  Upon coming out, I noticed there was a lady who had been there before I went in.  As I came out, she went into the restroom.  Only then did it hit that I had completely bypassed the line.  *facepalm*  I felt ridiculous and instantly apologized to everyone who was within ear shot.  Good job, Katie, good job.

I-D-1-0-T
Steve and I were driving in the car and he randomly (it probably wasn't that random, but I don't remember how it came up...) said ID ten T and asked me to spell it.  So, I said I-D-T-E-N-T.  He said, "no, spell it with the numbers."  I gave him a confused look and said, "numbers?  There's no numbers in that..."  he looked back at me for a minute and then I got it.
 "d'oh!  10!  10 is a number, okay, let me try again! I-D-1-0-T-E-E!"  At that point he just shook his head.  I don't know why my brain decided to make "T" into "tee" but it did.  He had to explain to me that he was trying to get me to spell idiot.  I found it pretty ironic that I was having such a hard time with that specific word.
Sigh.

Howe, not Howell
I don't remember where we were or who we were talking to but someone said, "Howe, right?  That's your last name?"  to which I responded "yes."  I should have left it there, there was really no need to say anything more... but, of course, I did. "Yes, It's Howe.  Oftenly confused with Howell."  The guy didn't really say anything and just walked away.  Slowly my brain said, "wait... Oftenly?  Did you just say oftenly?"  I asked Steve, "Did I say... oftenly?"
In a slightly embarrassed manner he responded, "...ya"
That is our new word that we oftenly use.  You may also use it if you feel your vocabulary needs some sprucing.

Drink Up!
So, I've had a pretty bad habit of leaving our movable sprinkler on.  One night I was determined not to forget it so I decided I'd sit outside and read while it watered my garden.  Then when it was time to turn it off, I'd remember.  Well guess what, I sat outside and read for about 10 minutes then thought, "Ok, that's probably good, I'm going to turn off the water and go in."  So I stood up and walked right inside.  In my mind I was absolutely positive that I had turned the water off.  After all, that's why I stayed outside.  So I went about my normal evening routine and went to bed.  Penny woke up around 2:30 to go outside and when Steve came back he said, "uh, hon, did you leave your water on?" (That would have meant the water had been running 5, maybe 6 hours) Groggily I assured him I did not.  He then informed me that it was on when he went outside and very slowly, but surely, my half-asleep brain remembered simply standing up and walking in...  "Ah crap" was all I could say at that point, and I went back to bed.  Next morning I went outside to assess the damage.  Yep... several plants were dying.  I guess they don't like swimming.  Luckily I wasn't feeling too hormonal at that point (just stupid) so I didn't cry... unlike the time Penny pulled out my bean plants and I sobbed uncontrollably.  But that's a story for another day.

Let them Eat Bagels!
My team at work does something called Treat Tuesday.  Every other Tuesday we have treats in our team meetings.  Once a month they're supplied by the company budget and once a month they're supplied by an employee.  I'm in charge of passing around the sign up sheet for volunteers.  July was a super busy month at work, we had a few lunches and celebratory moments so we decided to forego the Treat Tuesdays for that month.  I didn't realize that no one had signed up for August's Treat Tuesday.  Not a big deal, I noticed on Monday.  I sent around an email asking if anyone would like to volunteer, I realized it was short notice and if no one wanted to volunteer we could just switch weeks with the budget treats and have someone bring treats the following Treat Tuesday.  Well, no one responded quickly.  I figured I'd give them until about 2 pm and send out another email saying we'd just do budget treats.  A coworker and I decided that if no one volunteered and I felt half-way decent the following morning, I'd stop and grab bagels.  If I didn't feel well she could run to Harmon's and grab something quick, like muffins.  Well, time passes and 2 people volunteered.  It was decided that our boss would bring in treats.  Whew, now I don't have to worry about it.  Right?  Let us skip ahead to the next morning, shall we?
 I wake up and realize that for once, I'm feeling close to normal.  I get excited.  I can totally go get bagels!  I get ready and swing by Einsteins on my way in.  The bagel baskets were empty when I got there so I just figured my co-worker and I could run to Harmon's.  Right as I'm getting ready to turn around and walk out, a worker brings out a large cart of bagels and started filling the baskets.  Score!  So I gather a dozen, pay, and make my merry way into work.  I got into work and I thought, "I bet my coworker will be happy about the bagels."  I set the box on my desk and she gives me a reeeaaally confused look.  I stared back at her and thought, "Oh no!!! I was supposed to get donuts."  I quickly replayed our conversation from the previous day.  No, we decided bagels.  Why is she looking at me like that?
"Ummm....." she uttered, still staring.  "Did you forget?"
"Did I forget what?"
"Scott is bringing treats... why did you get bagels?"
I started laughing so hard.  Not once did it ever cross my mind that I wasn't supposed to get the treats...  Not even after her confused and questioning look.  I guess it's better to forget you aren't supposed to bring the treat rather than forget you are.  Luckily my boss hadn't gotten anything yet, not that double treats would have been terrible.

Thanks for reading, friends!  Check back oftenly for updates!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, hilarious!
    Pregnancy brain is totally a real thing! My husband loved to tease me and say I'd always been like that... but no way! I could remember the smallest details until I got pregnant! Now I've learned to make notes in my phone anytime I want to remember something! (Sadly, it doesn't get much better after baby is born, ha!)

    ReplyDelete